Sunday 19 May 2013

Day 16 of blog everyday...

Day 16, Thursday: Something difficult about your "lot in life" and how you're working to overcome it

Blogging feels very narcissistic today. I'm not one to go on about things difficult about my "lot in life". At least I don't think I am! I always think other people are struggling far more than me and it's egotistical to go on about mine.  However you asked so I'm answering.....

My health. That's hard lately.  When I was pregnant I had quite severe SPD (or Pelvic Girdle Pain if you're picky). I was on crutches from around 24 weeks and it was hard going. The doctors all said it would go away after my little one came along so I was very optimistic!

For the first 6 weeks of Isaacs life it was great. The pain had gone and I felt really good. Usual post birth pains but otherwise good! Then it came back... With a vengeance. My body decided it hated me and my SPD turned into all over pain. Everything hurt. My back, my knees, my legs, my neck, my wrists, my hands etc etc etc etc

So for the past 18 months I've been working with various people to figure it out. I've seen Orthopaedics, Rheumatologists, GP's, Occupational Health and Physiotherapists.  I've had lots of blood taken, which all came back normal and now pointed to one thing. Fibromyalgia. Great. 

If you haven't heard of it before I'd say don't read everything you believe.  Otherwise, like me, you could be convinced it's all in your head or you're a drama queen. That's not true.  I'm very lucky to have an understanding doctor who does believe the condition exists and that she wants to help any way she can. 

I've done a lot of research into the condition. I had also heard of it as my father-in-law and sister-in-law both suffer. I've yet to tell them I got the diagnosis which seems odd. However I don't really like to talk about it and it's the sort of condition that is so different for each and every sufferer I don't want to be comparing. It's one of the reasons I don't want to go to a support group. What works for me may not work for you.

So other than the pain killers my doctor suggested a mild anti-depressent which is used as a painkiller.  At this time though I've decided against it. We'd like to have more children and I don't want to have to stop and start medication, or have the dozy feeling associated with the drug. So I'm working on building up my exercise. By that I mean walking further than 1 street, or gardening for more than 5 minutes. I have physio and I'm learning to manage the pain enough to have a life. Some things are out but I figure I'm here, I can take care of my son. Maybe I can't do as much as other mums but I make up for it in other ways. I'm a fantastic colouring in partner... 

So that's my hard lot in life. It is hard as people can't see I have anything wrong with me so sometimes it seems I'm just lazy or exaggerating. Plus I find it hard to ask for help and admit I'm struggling with everyday things, like loading the washing machine or tidying up Isaac's toys. But I'm working on it. I'm determined it won't run my life. So hey my bad lot isn't all bad. It makes me slow down. I get to sit and smell the roses all day sometimes. That can't be all bad right?

1 comment:

  1. Hi i totally understand about the spd pain, my little one is now 12 weeks old an i suffered really bad with it from about 20 weeks i wasn't on crutches but it was extremely painful and my wonderful hubby had to do everything for me as well as look after our other 4 kids especially the little 2 who are now 4 and 2. My pain hasn't gone completely as i still get the odd pains.
    good luck with every thing with ur health an with everything else.

    ReplyDelete