Monday 6 May 2013

Day 6 of blog every day...

Day 6, Monday: If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'what do you do'?



What do I do? That's quite a deep question really. I wonder about this as I don't have a job in the traditional sense. I'm a stay at home mama to my lovely little man Isaac. That's what I do.

I play. With lego, a play kitchen, Happyland figurines, mega bloks and cuddly toys. I make music with him. On a keyboard, the drums or the various xylophone/maracas we have.  I walk around the house and the garden very very slowly. I watch countless amounts of Disney junior and remember the names of all the characters and the words to all the songs.

I cuddle him when he cries. I kiss his ouchies and wipe away his tears. I hold him in the night when he has unexplained nightmares. I cuddle him to sleep at nap time and cuddle him again when he wakes.

I make his breakfast, lunch and dinner. I bake him cakes, cook him healthy dinners and pretend I don't notice when granny gives him biscuits.

I teach him about the world around him. I name the animals on his wallpaper and do (bad) impressions of their noises.

I photograph every day of his life. The funny, the cute and the ordinary. I document his whole life for him to investigate in the future and for us to remember.

I pretend I'm not scared of spiders or clowns so he won't inherit my silly phobias.

I do an abnormal amount of research into safety measures to make sure my little one is as protected as possible in every situation.

I ferry him to toddler groups, music groups and swimming lessons. I wear an unflattering swimming costume in public to make sure he's safe in the pool.

I tell him stories of family members he doesn't see often or will never see. I teach him about our faith and truth. 

I love and cherish him unconditionally and always will. Nothing can or will ever be done to change that.


I'm also a wife. I've been a mother longer and that just came naturally to me. Being a wife is harder. It involves much of the same...
Showing an interest in lego and computer games..... Ferrying him around..... 

In all seriousness though marriage is a joy that requires work. Relationships have never come easily to me and marriage comes far easier than any others did. I have never been so at peace as the day of my wedding. I knew 100% I was where I was supposed to be. Bringing my family into a little unit in the eyes of God.


So what do I do? I learn. I learn how to be a better mother, wife, friend, daughter. I learn how to live a life of fellowship while living the life I want. I learn how to be a better person every day. So while I teach my son I am always learning. Isaac is teaching me as much, if not more than I am teaching him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment