Friday 3 May 2013

Day 3 of blog everyday...

Prompt: Day 3, Friday: Things that make you uncomfortable


I've debated over this post quite a lot. All day in fact! I'm pretty sure no-one wants to read a long list of the things that make me uncomfortable so I thought I'd see what appeared today and tell you about them. In list form. Cause I love lists. I can't help it and I won't apologise for it! ;-)

1.  Being in a crowd/group of people. Despite attending the same toddler group at my church since Isaac was 3 months old (he's now 18 months) I still feel like the shy awkward new girl every week. I get there early so I can have a chat with the volunteers (my mum and the rectors wife!) but when other mums arrive I can feel myself physicall pull away and try not to catch anyones eye. I never used to be this shy. Back when I had "issues" I was the life and soul of every party. Now I'm happy in myself I'm as shy as they come. Strange but true.

2. Other peoples politics... Expecially when they broadcast them on facebook. How do you respond when half of your friends list "likes" a post you inherently disagree with? You don't. So I spend half my time ignoring people who otherwise are good friends! Just don't talk politics with them and we're fine. The particualr case today was the vote for Scotlands independence..... 

3.  Speaking of things you can't talk about with friends... It makes me uncomfortable to discuss religion with most of my friends. In fact nearly all of them. I've discovered over time that it would appear most atheists I know feel that fact gives them the right to tell me my faith is wrong, maybe not in so many words but the intention is there. Even though I would never presume to tell them theirs is. It makes me uncomfortable that there is this double standard among my generation and that it means most of my friends don't know how important my faith and religion are to me.

4.  Making polite chit chat with a checkout person when all I want to do is tell them they're scanning my items wrong! Stop giving me the shopping all out of order! I put heavy things on the belt first because I want the heavy things first! Don't lean over my large bag of potatoes to scan the bread first. It only means I have to wait to pack said bread and end up looking like I should have accepted your "help" with my packing. Although that would have ended in more than one broken egg I'll bet.

5.  Parking in a very busy public car park. This uncomfortableness has been alleviated somewhat by my lovely car (which I've now had a grand total of 7 months and still love completely) having parking sensors and a rear camera. I still get that uncomfy feeling though that I must be doing it wrong. Especially when someone is watching me from their car....


So judging by this list of things that made me uncomfortable today, I think I have some work to do.  I don't believe my social anxiety will get magically better anytime soon but I am working on it. I think it'll be a work in progress forever.  As for not talking to friends about things I think I'm learning some friends are for sharing certain things with and others aren't.  It doesn't make either group better than the other it just makes them different and I'm ok with that. 





No comments:

Post a Comment